Intro text needed.
Sculptra® is an injectable solution that restores and corrects the signs of facial fat loss by replacing lost volume. Sculptra® provides an increase in skin thickness, helping to create a more natural facial appearance in those with facial lipoatrophy (loss of fat beneath the skin). It provides a gradual and significant increase in facial volume which results in improved appearance of folds and sunken areas.
Sculptra® is composed of poly-L-lactic acid, a synthetic material. Poly-L-lactic acid is a biocompatible (does not harm the body), biodegradable (able to be broken down by the body) material that has been widely used for many years in surgical procedures. The effects are long-lasting. They were shown in clinical study to last up to 2 years after the first treatment session. Sculptra® is not made from human or animal sources and does not require a skin test.
The results from Sculptra® are not immediate; Sculptra® provides a gradual increase in skin thickness. During your first treatment visit, it may appear that Sculptra® worked immediately because of swelling from the injections and the water used to dilute Sculptra®. In a few days, when the swelling goes down and the water is absorbed by your body, you may look as you did before your treatment. After treatment, your physician will see you again in a few weeks to decide if additional injections are needed. Touch-up treatments may be needed to maintain the desired effects.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How many treatments are required?
Our physicians will decide the appropriate number of treatment sessions and the amount of Sculptra® you will need at each session.
How long do treatment results last?
Treatment results will differ for each person. In a clinical study, the treatment results lasted for up to 2 years after the first treatment session in most patients. Touch-up treatments may be needed to maintain the desired effects.
Do injections of Sculptra® hurt?
As with any injection, injections with Sculptra® may be uncomfortable. Treatment involves multiple injections in small amounts. Our physicians may apply a topical or local anesthetic.
What can I expect to happen at a treatment session?
Our physicians will answer all of your questions and prepare you for treatment.
- Make-up will be removed
- The areas to be injected will be cleaned with an antiseptic
- Forced-air dermal cooling will be used to decrease discomfort
- Sculptra® will be injected in small amounts into the skin. Multiple injections will be needed.
- After the treatment session, the area will be thoroughly massaged to distribute the product evenly.
What can I expect after treatment?
Immediately following a treatment session with Sculptra®, redness, swelling, pain, or bruising can happen in the treatment area. These symptoms usually go away in a few hours or a few days. Some have been known to last up to 17 days. Our physicians will give you specific post-treatment care instructions. You should massage the treated area (a few times each day) for several days after the treatment session. Within the first 24 hours after treatment, an ice pack may be applied for a few minutes at a time to the treatment area to help reduce swelling. Wrap the ice in a cloth to avoid putting ice directly on your skin. Avoid excessive sun and UV lamp exposure until initial swelling and redness has resolved.
How quickly can I get back to my daily activities?
Most patients feel comfortable going back to their normal activities following treatment.
When will I be able to apply make-up after treatment?
Make-up may be applied a few hours after treatment if no complications are present.
What are possible side effects of treatment with Sculptra®?
- The most common side effects with Sculptra® include injection site bleeding, tenderness, pain, redness, bruising or swelling. These side effects generally last, on average, 3 to 17 days.
- One possible delayed side effect with Sculptra® can be small bumps under the skin in the treated area. These small bumps may not be visible, and you may notice them only when you press on the treated skin. These bumps tend to happen within the first 6 to 12 months after the first treatment. Occasionally, these bumps go away on their own. Visible bumps, with redness and/or color change to the treated area, have also been reported. As with all procedures that involve injection through the skin, there is a risk of infection.
Report any side effects to our physicians.
Does this fill in lines?
No, SCULPTRA® is a facial injectable that gives you subtle results over time by replacing lost collagen, giving you a more natural-looking appearance, without looking obvious. SCULPTRA® Aesthetic works to correct volume loss improving shallow to deep facial wrinkles and folds, which can help provide a refined, more youthful looking appearance.
Where is the product injected?
- Temple area
- The lines framing your mouth (marionette lines)
How long does it last?
Approximately 3 years or longer depending on your body system. Multiple treatments may be needed to achieve desirable results.